The Chakras is the term used for the main energy centers of the human body. There are many more but we tend to work with the major Seven, these are found from the base of your spine right to the top of your head.
These centers are constantly regulating your energy, not just the energy of your body itself but also from the environment around you. There are many ways to empower your Chakras and what suits one individual may not appeal to the next, what is important is that you find something you enjoy and that works for you.
All of the activities I mention can only work even more effectively when you also use the power of your mind. By that I mean being ‘fully present’ in the activity, really absorbing the pleasure you get from it, paying it your full attention and if you also consciously are aware that it is empowering your energy then each activity becomes a very powerful process.
Most of these activities work on more than one Chakra at a time;
* Exercise. One of the best known activities directly associated with the Chakras is of course Yoga. The word itself is translated as meaning to unite or make whole, the ultimate aim being to unite your body, mind and spirit.
Although there are many kinds you do not have to go to extremes to benefit from yoga, there are some very simple exercises that do not involve you tying yourself in knots or standing for hours upside down! Pilates is a great alternative, it works directly with your ‘inner core’ muscles and is particularly good for the back and stomach regions, although it too is a full body workout. It does not tend to incorporate the meditation aspect that yoga does but personally I find that as I am fully focused on concentrating on the slow movements and breathing it functions in much the same way.
Any exercise can be empowering for your chakras, from swimming, to cycling, to walking or football. Exercise benefits all of the chakras, as it affects not just physical movement, but your circulation and coordination as well.
* Singing. Singing is probably an unusual activity to be mentioned but it is very important. “Finding your voice” can be a very profound part of your journey, whether you regard life as a spiritual journey or whether you simply view communicating clearly as a healthy way of functioning.
You do not need to sing in public – unless you have a desire to do so! Just singing away in the car with the music on loud can be very stimulating and invigorating. The words in songs mixed with the melody can create so many different atmospheres and realities in your mind. No doubt you have favourite love songs that can easily move you to tears!
Music itself can take you to different parts of the world without leaving your living room! Each Chakra resonates at a different frequency and Sound Therapy can be very effective and healing. Many people will chant or make deep resonant sounds in some meditative practises. This of course will not appeal to everyone but singing is universally accepted and can be very empowering and uplifting.
* Dancing. Dancing need not be a humiliating experience, or one you even have to share! As it is a form of exercise and movement it directly affects the base chakra but the sacral chakra loves dance too. Obviously some dances are more rigorous than others and as always it should ideally be something you enjoy doing to have the most affect.
No set routines are necessary just fluid movement; in fact any movement will help the energy flow. This can be of great help with those experiencing some form of creative block or hurdle. It can bring a much needed injection of fun into your life. Belly dancing is a great way of moving your body and when you really concentrate on the new moves not only are you exercising your body you are also stimulating your brain too. It can also have a wonderful affect on your levels of confidence and speaking as a woman it can ignite your sensual nature in a totally positive way.
* Gardening. Gardening is by its’ very a nature a physical and ‘grounding’ activity, it keeps you in touch with the stimulating earthy energy of Mother Nature herself. This can be particularly useful at times of great stress, worry or tension, times when you have been too much ‘in your head’. Even simple tasks like sweeping the leaves, tidying borders or mowing the lawn can shift your energy.
* Immersing Yourself in Your favourite hobby or pastime. Any activity which you pursue simply for pleasure just because you love it! Whether that be reading, sewing, painting, walking – whatever. In these times we can forget the worries of the world and get lost in the enjoyment of something, this stimulates not only your inner child but your spirit too.
It is at these times you allow your natural creativity, your sense of wonder and fun to shine through. The trouble is many of us consider this to be a luxury that is all too easy to forego in the busy schedule of the modern world. It is vitally important though to your wellbeing and happiness levels. This can positively ‘feed’ the energy of the Heart Chakra in particular as well as others. It is important to spend time valuing yourself.
* Visualization. The real power of your mind lies in your ability to visualize and your imagination. Through listening to guided meditation or visualization recordings you can direct energy with your mind; you can actively cleanse and re-energize your Chakras this way.
* Relaxation! This is the least ‘active’ in this list of activities but one of the nicest! Deep relaxation is so beneficial in so many ways. The body cannot be relaxed and tense at the same time.
That may seem obvious but many people do not deeply relax, they wrongly assume sitting in front of the television equates to relaxing. On a surface level it does – you can turn off to a degree but until you have enjoyed deep relaxation it will be hard for you to comprehend the difference.
Also whilst sitting you may still be holding tension within your muscles. In deep relaxation, not only will you be physically relaxed but mentally your mind can relax and your emotions will enjoy the rest too! Spiritually it is also in this state that you can more easily connect with your Higher Self.
The energy of the chakras is not a strictly physical entity it is very much about the energy of your emotions and beliefs as well. An empowering activity in energetic terms first and foremost will be one you enjoy and can immerse yourself in. Obviously the more you enjoy it, the more you are likely to try and incorporate it into your daily routine.
This way you will reap the biggest benefits as any activity, regardless of how empowering it may be, is not of much use done only once on the odd rare occasion. Balance is a key factor, so much of our daily life can easily pull us out of sync that it is important for us to be able to easily redress that by using simple and effective methods such as those listed above.