An Introduction to the Chakras
Chakra is an ancient Sanskrit term, it’s translated meaning is a spinning disc or wheel. More often than not, when we are talking about the chakras of the human body, we tend to refer to the main seven chakras of the human energy system. Although there are a lot more, I too will focus on the main seven in this book.
Despite the ancient unveiling and naming of the chakras, it has been a relatively recent phenomenon of scientific discovery that each of the major chakras reside in very close proximity to an important nerve plexus.
It’s important to keep in mind that the chakras are not things you can see or touch, they are not part of your physical body but they are part of your energetic body. To me, they are doorways, connecting your conscious and subconscious mind, as well as connecting your energetic and physical body.
The healers and seers of ancient times perceived that there were seven major energy hubs or centres. These were positioned along the human spine, from the very bottom of the spine, right to the topmost point of the head. They described the energy at these points as spinning. Similar to the motion you see where two volumes of water converge and a whirlpool is created.
The locations of the seven main Chakras are:
- The Base or Root Chakra – sits at the base of the spine
- The Sacral or Second Chakra – The lower abdomen, about a hand width from your navel
- The Third Chakra or Solar Plexus – Resides around the navel and slightly above it
- The Fourth or Heart Chakra – Obviously this is located around the chest area
- The Fifth or Throat Chakra – This energy centre is situated at the throat, and affects the whole neck
- The Sixth Chakra or Third Eye -Located between and slightly above the eyebrows
- The Seventh or Crown Chakra – This uppermost Chakra is positioned at the top of the head
They may not be tangible or something you have spent a lot of time thinking about but you can certainly become more aware of the existence of the chakra energies. You can become more sensitive to how they feel and then go on to interpret the energetic signals they are constantly giving out.
Every one of the seven chakras vibrates at a unique frequency, it’s own particular resonance. One of the ways we distinguish them most easily is by colour.
- Red is the colour of the Root Chakra
- Orange for the Sacral Chakra
- Yellow for the Third Chakra/Solar Plexus
- Green for the Heart Chakra
- Blue for the Throat Chakra
- Indigo for the Sixth Chakra/Third Eye
- Violet for the Seventh/Crown Chakra